Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Peace Corps Continued

The last few weeks have been unfortunate for my Peace Corps bid. After a depressive episode this past fall, I told Peace Corps what had happened. In February, they decided I was medically ineligible at this time for service. Their decision contained false information, though, and I've filed an appeal. I hope to hear back from them soon. They said all their mental health advisors are currently busy with volunteers in Ukraine. As if my Peace Corps hopes couldn't be delayed any longer, they are now dependent on the Ukrainian crisis to resolve.

Instead of just waiting around, I'm looking at other options now. Outdoor education programs near Santa Cruz, California, the Quaker school and camp named "Woolman" in Northern California, and Waldorf teacher's programs in New York are just a few options that I'm exploring.

After hibernating to stave off a head cold, I've climbed out of my den and started to dream about training for another ultra marathon. Last year at this time, I was pulling long cold slogs on the road to prepare for the NJ Ultra 100 miler at the end of March. This year's bucket list includes a hope to run over one hundred miles in a single push. Training will be exhausting. My toes will turn ugly again. The final crust of winter will burn my flesh. But I will keep my convictions solid and explore my limits.

Happy trails everyone,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment